Friday, October 06, 2006

Where not to bother with wine

OK! I took one for the team. I went to lunch the other day at the Olive Garden - love the Toscana soup and salad for $5.95. While reading the menu I checked out the wine offering. There weren't any wines that caught my eye - however, this blog was fresh in my mind. I decided to conduct some research and gave the house red wine a try. It's a label that the restaurant manages, allegedly to compliment the Italian food they serve.

The waitress pulled out the cork with her hand by twisting the cork upward. She filled my glass to the tippy top so she could kill the bottle. Heh. And with that - any glimmer of hope that I might have had desolved. I lifted the glass carefully to my mouth. There was no way for me to smell the wine without spilling on myself. I took a sip, swallowed and wished I could get my $4.95 back. The wine was not pleasant. It was a .3 on the 5 point scale. It was flat, bitter, with an after taste like vinegar. And this is why it's not a surprise that wine doesn't taste good to many people. Choosing wine at a place like the Olive Garden is not recommended. It's a novelty for the restaurant. Their business is all-you-can eat pasta and mediocre sauce. Not wine. Save yourself the money - and wait til happy hour for your daily glass of wine. Don't drink at the Olive Garden.

2 comments:

The Strausbaugh's said...

Thats why I drink the Peach sangria or a Bloody Mary. Box wine is good too..... ask Charlene.

Paul said...

Great place to start the blog! I had never really considered wine tasting at The Garden

1sitedirectory